Tuesday 9 December 2008

Walk Behind Me and I'll Start a Parade

AbsFirst, some miracles. It was really REALLY cold when I arrived on Thursday night. I was staying with my brother on the north side before the rest of the team arrived and in the two blocks we had to walk from the El stop to his apartment my face froze and it hurt so much I couldn't move or talk or even cry. It was three degrees. Friday morning proved to be more of the same and I tried to twist and tangle my scarf into a full face mask.

After Jennie and I got Kat and Heather at the airport, we had to find our way to our swanky apartment with parking included. This involved procuring a garage censor from a doorman and then locating the garage on the other side of the building. We split into two teams--Heather and I would locate the doorman and then meet Kat and Jennie at the garage entrance. We jumped out of the car into the three degrees and Heather dropped dead with a fast thwump thud. I was worried for her health and she ducked into my back, shoving her face between my shoulder blades hoping for shelter. I made her run. I think running is the only reason why I survived this weather when I was a kid. House to car, car to school, never stop, run, run, run.

It was cold is what I'm saying.

But! Miracle time! On Saturday, our Day in the City, it wasn't three degrees. In fact, it was a balmy 30 degrees. THIRTY! That's practically roasty! And so we were able to walk around the city without wanting to die.

The other miracle?

Snowflakes. Each one is different, did you know?



As they fell on Saturday morning I was amazed to see their details trapped in my scarf. They looked just like the fake ones with all the symmetrical points and each one really was different. Miracle!

Our hats are pretty awesome. I bought them in early November from a vendor at a work conference and have been anxiously awaiting the day we could all wear them. And that day was better than I could have ever imagined.



I mean, have you ever seen something so cool in your entire life? The answer you're looking for is no.

About the hats: they are made by women in Nepal who were rescued from the sex slave industry. They are fleece-lined and toasty warm in addition to be super cute. They make a lot of other stuff too and if you want to buy some, you can at RansomWear.

We got asked that a lot and the Collective kept deferring to me, the buyer. But that kind of question is always hard for me, because if I don't have an easy answer like Target or Old Navy or a thrift store I don't know how to explain to the asker that they too can get them, but it does take an extra step. So my answers ended up being really rude. For example, "Nepal. Scoff." Or. "The internet. Ever heard of it?"

Kat and Jennie and Heather kept trying to steer my out of idiot territory, and we slowly developed a rationalized way to answer the question. We reached successed on Saturday night when we had this exchange outside the Threadless store (approximation/dramatization):

Lady: OMIGOD! Your hats! They're amazing!
Us: Thanks!
Lady: Where did you get them?
Me: They can be purchased online but I got them elsewhere.
Kat: They're made by women in Nepal who were rescued from the sex slave industry.
Me: I can give you the website if you want.
Lady: That is so cool! I got my niece an animal hoodie for Christmas, and I've been having secretly jealously ever since. This is perfect!

The end. Photos are from Kat.

I hope someone writes about the cannibal we met.

No comments: