Thursday 10 July 2008

Dude, come on, French it up

JennieHere's the thing. I was too lazy to pick my own genre, so Heather Anne picked it for me. I like to pretend I'm above romantic comedies, because a lot of them tend to, well, suck donkey balls, but also because they're all about love and . . . barf.

However. When it's a good romantic comedy, I'm all over it. I'll watch it over and over until I can recite it. And then I'll watch it again. So. There we go. While it was not easy to narrow down my list of 43 romantic comedies, I was able to with some help and LOTS of discussion. In the end, I probably didn't pick the greatest romantic comedies in the all the land (mostly because I haven't even seen them all), but I did pick my favorites. And since I'm always right, my list is the correct one. Anyway. Here are my Top 10 Romantic Comedies EVER and I don't care if you like them or not, because I think they're awesome, so shut up.

10. Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan oeuvre

Let's face it. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan sort of made this category their bitch. Between Sleepless in Seattle, Joe vs. the Volcano, and the UNDERAPPRECIATED You've Got Mail, they're all over the romantic comedy.



9. Chasing Amy

This may seem an unconventional movie to put on a list of romantic comedies, but I stand by it. Plus, someone's nickname is "Fingercuffs" and that's just hilarious.



8. So I Married an Axe Murderer

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Probably more than I should. I still maintain that this is Mike Myers' greatest movie EVER.



7. The Wedding Singer

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Probably more than I should. I still maintain that this is Adam Sandler's greatest movie EVER.



6. Groundhog Day

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Probably more than I should. I still maintain that this is Bill Murray's greatest movie EVER. (Yes, more than Rushmore . . . OK, not really, but I had a thing going there.)



5. Amelie

Je'mapelle Claude (if you got that, I love you forever).



PS: This movie is perfection.

4. Bringing Up Baby

Confession: I have seen this movie a whole lot. If either this movie or The Philadelphia Story comes on TCM, I have to watch it. It doesn't matter if it's 4 in the morning and I have an all day surgery at 8 and NEED MY REST. Don't ask why I might be performing all day surgery. These things just happen sometimes.



3. The Jane Austen Collection - Pride & Prejudice, Bridget Jones' Diary, Emma, Clueless

I couldn't decide between all of these movies and so I made them one category because WHATEVER WHATEVER I DO WHAT I WANT.



2. When Harry Met Sally

When you think of romantic comedies, if you don't automatically think of this movie, I'm afraid there's something wrong with you. Sorry.



1. Love, Actually

Because Heather Anne asked me to. And also because it's like a bajillion romantic comedies put into one.


No comments: