Tuesday 2 February 2010

Five Worst Valentine's Day Cliches

AbsThere are a lot of reasons I'm excited about that new movie Valentines's Day. Reasons like Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Garner, Taylor Swift, Ashton Kutcher, etc., etc. I've already decided that this will be retribution for that terrible film He's Just Not That Into You which made me want to die die die. Speaking of die, I loooove Valentine's Day, but like any awesome, mass-observed holiday, the world has managed to turn it into something full of cliches. I guess that's the definition of cliche. These are the Five Worst Valentine's Day Cliches (a.k.a. The Super Annoying Things People Say in no particular order.

1. "It's SAD! Single Awareness Day!"

2. "Can you believe he didn't get a reservations?!"

3. "You need the big three: chocolate, flowers, jewelry. Then you know he's a keeper."

4. "We have to go out this weekend and meet guys. Otherwise I won't have a date for V-Day!"

5. "You gotta do it right, bro, cause it's the one day you can cash in and she'll put out. No questions asked."

I tend to believe that Valentine's Day is about showing your love to whomever in your life you love. Even if that's via a song about pigeon crap.

Your Love is a Giant Pigeon

Full set of Friends Valentines here.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I think people who are angry about Valentine's Day are just whiny because they don't know how to get laid.

eclectic said...

I'm a Valentine's Day hater. I admit it. It's the official no-win day for people in long-term successful relationships, IMO. If you mark the occasion, it's sure to be seen as obligatory; if you don't mark the occasion, it's sure to be seen as neglect. Ugh.

Lindsay said...

Ashley, I know how to get laid, and I STILL hate Valentine's Day.

But mostly for the cliches you just posted. That and it puts your relationship status on display as if it's shameful to be single. And there's too much hype if you're in a relationship. And it's just going to be plain awk this year with a new guy.

Although, I do like those Friends Valentines...

Jennie said...

I love those Friends valentines! I'm going to print them out and give them to people this year.