Tuesday 17 February 2009

i'm a cheater

Abs
So. I haven't read any books in a while. I can definitely blame this on two things. One, I've been working a lot. Two, I've been playing a lot of video games in the time I haven't been working. So unless you want a review of the Nintendo Wii Quick Set-up Guide or Jacob's TwoP American Idol Recaps, I don't have anything to give you. So, I'm going to do the next best thing. I'm going to give you a pre-review!

I haven't read this book. But I beat all the odds and successfully checked it out from the library. And when it is due on Friday, I will log on and renew it! And someday soon I just might read it! Please, hold your breath.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

I'm going to read this because Peefer, Ashley, AND Lindsay rated it four stars or higher on Goodreads. Peefer said:

When you know the Titanic is going to sink, but you still crave for the lovers to live happily ever after (even if they're silly teens), what's that called? It's some sort of denial or delusion, anyways. Or romance. Same thing I suppose.

ANYWAYS ... Ann Patchett pushed my D button so much it started feeling nice and tingly, so I just let her push it more. She was even so bold as to get meta on us and expand on convincing ourselves to believe that which is foreknown to be impossible. Or something. So, for engaging me from end to beginning to end, kudos to Ann!

My only complaint was the occasional surreality in ambiance (e.g. singing for one's life? Singing? SINGING?!), but I'm no expert on being held hostage so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Also, too many characters, but please, take that with a grain of salt: the introvert in me does not like crowds."

Peefer, I love stuff with too many characters! Also, thanks for writing my post for me!

No comments: