Thursday 26 February 2009

Show me that smile again (oooh, show me that smile)

Jennie
A few weeks ago, I had the stomach flu and spent all of Sunday in bed watching America's Next Top Model. The next day, I moved to the sofa and spent much of the day watching Very Special Episodes of The Biggest Loser and emailing Heidi to tell her I was recording them. Because that was something she NEEDED to know ASAP.

This week, I've come down with The Ohio Crud, which is what an actual doctor called it a couple of years ago. It's a cold, really, but comes as a result Ohio's ever-changing weather. For you see, it may be 20 degrees one day, but the very next day could be a balmy 60. That's just how we roll here in Ohio. Learn it, live it, love it. Buy some tissues.

A few of my coworkers had it last week, and so I was all, "WHY DO THEY KEEP COMING TO WORK IF THEY'RE SICK? I'M GONNA GET SICK, I JUST KNOW IT AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Ahem. And then this week, I was all, "I don't have enough PTO to be taking time off just because I feel like my head might explode from THE PRESSURE THE PRESSURE OH GOD THE PRESSURE," and so I tried to go to work but that sucked so I went home sick.

Anyway. Since a lot of you probably have some version of The Crud yourself and you MAY have even taken a couple days off work, you're probably in need of some entertainment. Never fear, for now I shall give you: The Five Best TV Show Marathons to Have When You're Sick.

1. Reality Show Jackpot

This happens when you're flipping channels, only to come across a marathon of some sort of reality show. It can't be too stimulating -- stay away from things like The Amazing Race that might raise your heartrate too much. Stick with things like America's Next Top Model, Top Chef, Jon and Kate Plus 8, What Not to Wear, or The Biggest Loser. These are all good options because when Bravo or whatever is showing one episode, chances are they're showing about 15 more right afterward. Plus, The Biggest Loser is way inspirational and may even motivate you to make that long trek to the kitchen for more hot tea.

2. 80s Show/TGIF Nostalgia Time!

Perfect Strangers. The Wonder Years. Cheers. Growing Pains. Mr. Belvedere. Full House. Family Matters. Who's the Boss? Charles in Charge.

I mean, come on. Watch this and tell me you don't feel better already:



3. Lost

Even if you weren't all hopped up on cold meds, it STILL wouldn't make sense, so why NOT watch it? Other confusing options: The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

4. Arrested Development

There's nothing quite like watching the Bluths to make you feel better about yourself, even if you're unshowered and unbra-ed, smell like Vicks Vapor Rub, and have dried chicken noodle soup broth caked all over your shirt. At least you're not this guy:



5. Pride & Prejudice

I'm not talking about Kiera Knightley, here, I'm talking about the A&E Pride & Prejudice miniseries starring none other than: Colin Firth. In fact, when I told my mom I was home sick and that it was OK because I needed to do research for this list ANYWAY, she was all, "Well, you know what the best TV show to watch when you're sick is, don't you?" and I was all, "What?" and she was like, "Pride & Prejudice DUH." It's true. The best part is, it's five hours long so you won't have to move from the sofa unless you need more 7-UP.

No comments: