Wednesday 23 April 2008

Books— oh! no. I am sure we never read the same, or not with the same feelings.

JennieI don't mean to be all tricksy, Internets, but Kat and I switched days. She is busy being a hockey fan and I, well, I have a lot of time on my hands, so it doesn't really matter what day I post. I'm sorry that you're stuck with me today, but Kat will be here tomorrow. Let's get down to business, shall we?

1) What book are you reading right now?

Anna Karenina. I'll admit, I was skeptical at first, mostly because of the sheer SIZE of this book (big things intimidate me (that's what she said) so I was scared), but now I can't wait to read it! I'm all, "yay, it's time to read," which . . . OK, is nothing new, but whatever. The other day, I went home at lunch to read (I stopped trying to read in my office on my lunch break because people come in and are all, "what are you reading?" and I'm all, "nothing, now that you interrupted me," and I'm not supposed to talk to my boss like that anymore) and right as it was time to go back to work, Vronsky shot himself! Um. Spoiler alert. Oops. Anyway. Vronsky shot himself and I was all upset that I had to go back to work and WHY will no one pay me to sit at home and read all day? Why?

2) What is the fourth sentence on page 133 of that book?

"Moving chairs with the help of unobtrusive servants, the company settled down, dividing itself into two parts -- one by the samovar with the hostess, the other at the opposite end of the drawing room, round the ambassador's wife, a beautiful woman in black velvet with sharp black eyebrows."

3) What is one book that changed your life?

Um. Green Eggs and Ham. Stay with me. You see, when I was but a tiny child, I wouldn't eat anything. Well, I mean, I ate some stuff, because HELLO, if I didn't eat anything, I wouldn't be here right now. Anyway. I never tried anything new. So one day, I was reading Green Eggs and Ham and it finally sunk in that maybe, JUST MAYBE, if I tried something new, I might like it. So I tried something new. And I liked it.

That story is not true, but it should be. I'm just not really sure how to answer this question.

4) What is one book that you read again and again?

Pride & Prejudice. Catcher in the Rye. Fahrenheit 451.

5) What three books would you want on a desert island?

Pride & Prejudice. Catcher in the Rye. Fahrenheit 451.

6) What is the funniest book you've ever read?

Me Talk Pretty One Day. You guys, the story about his brother (You Can't Kill the Rooster) made my entire body hurt, I was laughing so hard.

7) What book made you cry the most?

I'm with Heather. Little Women made me cry so hard I had to put the book down, on account of I couldn't see the words anymore through ALL THE TEARS, TEARS, TEARS, TEARS!

8) What book do you wish had been written?

Things Everyone Else Knows That You Don't by . . . I don't know, someone smart.

9) What would be the title of your autobiography?

Ouch, I Fell Down Again

10) What book do you keep meaning to read?

Life of Pi. I think I actually have it. Wait, no. I don't have it. I think about buying it every time I'm in a bookstore, but I never do. I checked it out from the library once, but I had to take it back because it was overdue (standard). Wow, good story, Jennie, tell it again!

11) What five books should everyone be required to read?

I can't come up with a better answer than The Complete Collection of Calvin & Hobbes. Those books have everything. Also, throw some Dr. Suess in there.

Laziest. Answer. Ever.

12) What book was the biggest waste of your time?

The Devil Wears Prada. Actually, it's one of the few books I didn't finish. I think I made it about three chapters before I got fed up with the TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE writing and threw the book across the room. If you knew how anal-retentive I am about my books staying in pristine condition, you'd understand that that's a BIG DEAL. CAPS LOCK.

13) What was your favorite book as a child?

Maniac McGee. Sideways Stories from Wayside School. Ooh, The Polar Express! And Where the Wild Things Are. And The Great Kapok Tree. The Giver. A Wrinkle In Time. Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Also, I had this Sesame Street book about Grover getting lost in some weird funhouse (?) when I was really little (5? 6?) and I read it all the time. I remember getting in trouble once because I was reading it when I was supposed to be in bed and my dad was all, "Jennie, you go to bed RIGHT NOW or I will throw that book out the window," and so I turned off the overhead light, crawled under the covers, and read it with a flashlight.

14) What book have you read the most?

For some reason, I've read The Handmaid's Tale A LOT. Maybe to remind myself that my life isn't so bad? I don't know.

15) Is there any book's ending that you would like to rewrite? What would you change about the original ending?

I've thought long and hard (hee) about this and I don't have an answer. So I'll answer a completely different question. You know what movie's ending I don't like? Once. I can acknowledge that it was a good ending, I guess, and I know it wasn't one of those romantic comedies where two crazy lovebirds finally work things out. No. It was REALISTIC. But still. It made my heart all hurty. Like really hurty in a way that I like to avoid. Actually, my heart gets all hurty again whenever I think about it so I'm going to stop now.

No comments: