Thursday 9 April 2009

my other hobby is phoning it in

Jennie Here's my problem when it comes to hobbies -- I love to start them but I never stick with them very long. I decided to learn how to knit about four years ago and have yet to finish the scarf I started at the time. And I only used one kind of stitch because I wanted to keep it simple and finish it as quickly as possible. I figured eventually I'd be spitting out full sweaters in no time, and sooner or later some hotshot designer would see them, call me a genius, and I'd be rich and/or famous.

Another time, I tried to teach myself sign language. I even signed up for a class at the community college FOR NO RAISIN, other than I really wanted to learn sign language. I saw myself working in a school and becoming a translator. Well, I remember how to say "my name is Jennie," but that's about it. I don't foresee any schools needing my translating skills in the near future.

I bought a guitar in high school, thinking I'd automatically be really gifted and I'd write songs for famous people. I didn't want to sing the songs myself because A) I can't sing very well and B) I have horrible stage fright. Not a good combination. Just ask Ashlee Simpson. Zing!

Anyway. I also used to draw in high school. I found my old sketchbook the other day. It's not bad, but it's not great, which probably explains why I quit. If I'm not good at something, I quit immediately. That's the responsible thing to do, so you don't waste resources. Yep.

I wouldn't consider running a hobby because I don't like it all that much, plus I quit running like every other week. I'm still doing the Couch to 5K program, and I'm on Week 5, AND that's probably the longest I've ever stuck with any running program. True story.

The only hobby I've ever had, that I will never, ever give up, is reading. I don't really consider it a hobby, though, because it's a necessity. When I think of a hobby, I think of something that would fall by the wayside should other priorities and responsibilities creep up, as they are wont to do. But reading? That is a priority. Most of the time, I prioritize it over things like cleaning and cooking and writing and um, going to work. I would read ALL THE TIME if I didn't have to go to work or, you know, sleep. I tried to figure out a way to read while driving when one of the Harry Potter books came out. I sometimes read while I'm brushing my teeth or vacuuming or waiting for files to download on my computer or during commercials. I carry a book with me AT ALL TIMES just in case(s) I have five minutes to kill.

So, there. My favorite hobby is reading. Even though it's not really a hobby, but something that is TOTALLY NECESSARY FOR ME TO LIVE.

No comments: