Monday 9 March 2009

Interview with Joe!

heather Last week, I found myself gifted with the happy task of interviewing Joe from Joe's Apartment. (Also known as Joe, Jennie!'s boyfriend.) We tried twice to have the interview LIVE via Google Chat, but I've been sick beyond measure and pretty much asleep for six straight days. Joe, though, he didn't mind that I kept flaking on the LIVE interview, so he did it via email at the very last minute. Joe is rad. I like him very much.

The un-LIVE Joe Interview:

Before we get started I was wondering if you have any pictures of DCU Infinite Heroes you could show us.

Y’know, I actually don’t have any pictures of those handy, but I do have a few pictures of action figures that I’ve repainted and/or sculpted. Here’s one of The Flash, in a costume he wore for less than a year but that I really liked the look of (this was a simple repaint with some minimal sculpting):

DarkFlash

And here’s another one of The Flash with his mask off, revealing his secret identity of Barry Allen (I sculpted the mask around his neck and added the little wing thingies, then painted the mask and his neck and added a new head):
Barry_Allen

Awesome, that is the perfect segue to my first question, which is: You like comic books, huh?

I do! How did you know? That’s a closely-guarded secret.

I've seen your comic book collection, and it is one of the most impressive things my eyes have ever beheld.

I hope, for your sake, that this is not true.

When did you start collecting comics? What's your favorite thing in your collection? Have you sold or lost anything you wish you could get back?

I started collecting comics seriously when I was in 2nd Grade, around 1990, though I know that I have been reading comics for longer than that. But when I was seven or eight was when I really started reading them regularly. My favorite thing, or at least the coolest thing, in my collection is a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man #1 signed by Brian Bendis (the writer) and Mark Bagley (the artist), with a sketch of Spidey by Bagley. The one comic that I sold for a lot of money and that I later regretted selling is Batman #232, the first appearance of Ra’s al Ghul and an early O’Neal/Adams Batman story. The copy that I had was in wonderful condition and I got it for really cheap, and I sold it for easily eight times what I paid for it, but I have regretted it ever since.

Speaking of comics, I liked your review of Watchmen. I was hoping you could review the following comic book movies in 10 words or less:

Batman: Not a great movie, but one of my childhood favorites

Spider-Man 2: A very enjoyable movie, and the best of the series

Superman Returns: A wonderful nostalgia piece that fails as its own movie

The Dark Knight: Proves that great comic book movies also make great films

Dick Tracy: The only thing I remember is, “Go suck an egg!”

X-Men 3: They should have waited for Bryan Singer to come back

And speaking of segues -- well, not segues exactly, but segways (you know those little personalized vehicles that mall cops drive around) -- would you ride one of those if it was yours for free? If so, where would you take it?

I would definitely ride one of it was mine for free. I would take it around the neighborhood, with no particular destination in mind. You know how, when you’re a kid, you just go out and ride your bike around the block a bunch, just for the sake of doing it? That’s how I would be with a segway.

What is the vehicle of your dreams?



Without question, the Batmobile from the ‘60s Batman TV series.

Given your choice between that vehicle and a hoverboard, which would you choose?

I’d still take the Batmobile.

(If you didn't choose hoverboard, can I have it?)

Assuming Jennie doesn’t want it, sure.

Let's talk some more about movies. What's your favorite movie line?

“It’s not impossible, I used to bull’s-eye womprats in my T-16 back home, they’re not much bigger than two meters.”

Are there some movies you've paid to see more than once in a theater?

There are many such movies! The list includes, but is not limited to, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Superman Returns, all three Star Wars prequels, all three Spider-Man movies, all three X-Men movies, The Prestige, Sideways, Garden State, and many, many others.

Are there any movies that you'd like to be able to see again in the theater, like maybe Back to the Future or Wall-E?

While I do love both of those, there are a lot of older movies that I would love to see on a big screen, from classics like Casablanca, The Big Sleep, and Citizen Kane, to more modern movies like Blade Runner, Star Wars, and Superman: The Movie.

What do you think makes a theater a really good theater?

I prefer stadium-style seating and a really big screen, if we’re talking architecturally what makes a good theater. As far as intangibles go, I love being in a sold-out theater where everyone is excited to see whatever the movie is that we’re about to see. That’s the main reason that I like going to midnight showings of movies – the people that are there all want to be there, and the excitement and energy is always really high. Those are my favorite movie-going experiences.

What does a person have to do to make you bonkers in a movie theater?

Talk on a cell phone. Or text. Really just using a cell phone, but mostly the talking. I also don’t like having the back of my seat kicked. And I will tell you I don’t like it if you do it to me.

What movie are you most looking forward to this year?

The new Harry Potter movie, for sure. I’m cautiously optimistic about Star Trek, and I’m looking forward to the new Terminator and Transformers movies, but the only movie of the year that I’m actively excited about is the new Harry Potter movie.

What kind of snacks do you get at the movies?

I like Twizzlers a lot. They’re a good, quiet candy to eat during a movie. And popcorn and soda are both required, of course.

OK, now we should talk about cartoons. Wait, do you watch cartoons? If not, you should maybe skip this section.

I watch older cartoons, so we’ll see how I do here…

What's the best cartoon on TV right now?

I don’t watch a lot of current cartoons, but I think Jennie would be mad at me if I didn’t say Spongebob Squarepants. That show is so insane.

What's the best cartoon on TV ever?

Futurama. It’s not a kid’s cartoon, but it’s a cartoon, and it makes me cry with laughter on a regular basis.

When you were a little kid did you ever watch Sesame Street during the giving telethons, and then sometimes on Saturday mornings the people would be like, "Listen up kids, if you ever want to see Big Bird again, you go wake up your mom and dad and donate $50!"? Did that scar you for life?

I don’t remember that ever happening to me. Though I’m sure that, if it had, it would have scarred me for life. That sounds very traumatic.

What cartoon did you love as a kid that would be too boring to sit through now?

Super Friends is pretty terrible. Sometimes I’ll put that on while I’m working or doing other things on the computer, but I can’t watch it outright. It puts me to sleep.

Speaking of time travel, has Jennie! discussed with you her wish to invent a time machine surrounded by a clear titanium bubble? Do you think you could help her achieve this dream? If so, where would you like to travel first?

I believe she’s mentioned the idea, yes, and I’m all for it. I don’t know what I could do to help her with it, but if there were anything I could do to help then I would definitely do it. If only I knew how a flux capacitor works. The first place to which I would time-travel would be to see The Beatles perform at Shea Stadium in 1965.

If you never invent the time machine, where would you most like to travel in this dimension?

Mars. Just to see what all the fuss is about.

Are you a Mac or a PC?

I’m definitely a Mac.

What web browser do you use?

Safari.

Do you judge people who are different in terms of their technology preferences?

Always.

What is your most favorite waste of time?

Looking at stuff on eBay. Though it tends to get me in trouble, too.

What is your most favorite part of the newspaper?

The Editorials page. I like to see what people are griping about. I also like the editorial cartoons.

If someone gave you a yacht, what would you name it?

I don’t know. I would have to see it before I name it. That’s how I am with pets, too.

I have heard you say a couple of times that you want a puppy. What kind of puppy do you want? Please show us some pictures.

I want a cute puppy. I don’t care what kind it is. When I eventually go to a shelter to get a dog, that’s when I’ll determine what kind I want. Though I would take this one.



Finally, what is one question I didn't ask that you would like to answer? Will you answer it?

I’m disappointed that you didn’t ask me anything about bowling. Since you obviously don’t care about my interest in this sport of kings, I will not answer any questions about it.

Thanks, Joe!

My pleasure, Heather!

No comments: