Friday 5 September 2008

I'm gonna go watch a moooooovie

Jennie I was going to be brief and just tell you what movies I saw and what movies I didn't see, but why do that when I can tell you all that PLUS ALSO babble about all the movies I DID see? I saw a lot them. Well. Not as many as I could have, but more than I normally do. Anyway. Movies. Go!

Summer movies I meant to see in the theater and still might see, provided I don't forget, which, let's face it, is what will happen:

Iron Man
Pineapple Express
Tropic Thunder

Summer movie I almost saw, but decided not to because I didn't want to tarnish my childhood memories any more than Alvin & the Chipmunks already did:

Indiana Jones

Summer movies I saw plus some babbling:

The Dark Knight - This is the first ever movie I saw on opening night and by opening night I really mean Friday morning at 12:01 or whatever. I don't have anything to add to what's already been said about this movie so I'm just going to say this: Christian Bale is hot, The Joker was way scary, and that pencil thing was disgusting.

Get Smart - I didn't have high expectations for this movie, really. I mean, yeah, Steve Carell is funny. We know this. And Anne Hathaway was all sorts of awesome. The movie wasn't ground-breaking or brilliant or anything, but it was a lot of fun and that's about all I can ask for in a movie.

Mamma Mia! - OH MY GOD, you guys, I HATED THIS MOVIE. SO MUCH. To this day, I'm not even sure why I wanted to see it, but I think it had something to do with wanting to hear "Dancing Queen" in movie-theater-sound. This is similar to why I went to see Walk the Line in the theater, because I really just wanted to hear them play "Ring of Fire." The difference between Walk the Line and Mamma Mia!, though, is Walk the Line was awesome and Mamma Mia! made me want to poke out my eyes and then use my eyeballs as earplugs.

Sex and the City - You know, I wanted to like this movie. I liked the show a lot. But the more I think about it, the more I hate it. People kept talking about how it was fun to see the characters again, so who cares if the movie wasn't the greatest. Yeah. I guess? But . . . no, you know what? The movie wasn't good. It was way too long and every storyline was terrible and Carrie's weirdo wedding hat thing was ugly.

The Strangers
- I'm going to be completely honest with you. Heidi and I only went to see this movie because we wanted to get a 123 GoBox. We almost just got the Go Box and then left, but we felt like losers, so we saw a movie, too. This movie scared the shit out of me. LITERALLY. OK, not literally. But close. When we got back to the apartment, we turned on all the lights and I opened every closet to make sure no one was hiding inside.

Wall-E - BEST. MOVIE. EVER.

Wanted - Gunfire! Explosion! Looms? OK? Michael Scott reviewed Wanted, so why don't you just read that.

WarGames - Technically this movie didn't come out this year, but they showed it in theaters this summer, so it totally counts. We ended up only seeing about three-fourths of this movie, because the satellite feed or whatever got all jacked up, but we saw that three-fourths for free so . . . awesome. Maybe it was the computer that jacked up the satellite feed. Can we say sequel? Oh wait, there already was a sequel.

The X-Files - You guys know how much it hurts me to say this, but The X-Files movie kind of sucked. Yeah. I said it. I can say it, because I love me some X-Files. I guess it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very X-Filey. I know Tooms got smooshed by an escalator or whatever, but couldn't they have brought him back? Maybe he had a twin brother. Also. Skinner was in it for like 5 minutes. And Scully's hair was too long, it made her head look giant. And Mulder's beard was weird and distracting. And maybe my hopes were a wee bit too high and that's why I didn't really like the movie that much. It's sort of like the Sex and the City movie, where it was fun to see the characters again, but if you judge the movie on its own merits, it kind of blew chunks. I have more thoughts on this, but I'm going to stop now before the X-Philes reading this kill me, kill me dead.

No comments: