Thursday 4 September 2008

Our life is not a movie or maybe.

Hi, my name is Kat and I don't watch television. You probably already know that about me, but now I am going to BLOW YOUR MIND: I didn't watch a single movie this summer. Nope, not a one.

But I had to have a post for today so these are the books I read in May, June, July, and August, and subsequently reviewed at Collective favorite, Goodreads:

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, which was recommended to me by my good friend and Collective favorite, Grad School Reject. I gave it 4 stars, and said some drivel about Stevens being an interesting foil, a cold white heart to size up against my cold black one. Obviously I was drunk.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, about which my dearest Alex remarked, "Are you reading this because everyone on the Collective is obsessed with it?" Answer = yes. 4 stars, though I wish I could have given it 3.5 (it got boring once everyone had to go off and get married to the wrong people.)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, recommended to me by my boyfriend Ryan Adams. "Bloop bloop bleep," I said, and gave it 3 stars. Obviously I was drunk.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman, which I've been meaning to read since I was 10 but could never find the book. I wish the internets never existed because that's where I found this book. It sucked. 2 stars.

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, a continuance of my long overdue Austen education (a remedial course was required as a prerequisite to joining The Collective). I'll reproduce for you my review in its entirety: "No, it is 'Fanny' that I think of all day, and dream of all night. Heh." Obviously I was drunk. 3 stars.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Okay, now I know you're going to say that I already read this back in January, but I was desperately in need of a re-read due to circumstances I choose not to discuss (June 10, apparently). Also, SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! FIVE STARS!

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I have no idea why I read this. Obviously I was drunk when I bought it. 4 stars.

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell, thus beginning the series of books that I read because I saw them on PBS's Masterpiece first and thought they were delightful. (Okay, okay, I do watch the occasional television program. Sue me.) This particular miniseries had some British heavyweights, among them no less than Dame Judi Dench and that cute boy who played Mr. Bingley in the most recent P&P adaptation. I generally love Gaskell, but I thought the movie was better. 3 stars.

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster, thus concluding the series of books that I read because I saw them on PBS's Masterpiece first and thought they were delightful. (Okay, okay, I do watch the occasional television program. But only very occasionally.) I really liked the chapter titles. 4 stars.

Netherland by Joseph O'Neill, which was recommended to me by pretty much the entire reading world. Also, SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! FIVE STARS!

Persuasion, by Jane Austen, further continuing my long overdue Austen education. Possibly my favorite so far. 4 stars.

Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. You guys, I heart this book so hard. 5 stars.

Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro, which I read because Jennie!, Abigail!, Grad School Reject, and I thought also Peefer but I could be wrong, all read it, and I am nothing but a sucker for peer pressure. So this is what I said about it: "So I was reading this and reading this, thinking heck, this book isn't so sad, until I got to the last page. And then I locked myself up in the bathroom because I couldn't stop crying." Obviously I was drunk at the time. 4 stars.

The Glass Menagerie, by Tennessee Williams. I never get any of the theatre questions right on Jeopardy! (Okay, okay, I do watch the occasional television program. Sue me.) so I've been trying to sprinkle in a play or two here and there. 2 stars.

Which leaves us with the book I am currently reading. But I won't tell you what that is because I haven't finished it yet and this is a spoiler-free zone. Even though I already know that Tess dies in the end.

No comments: