Wednesday 6 May 2009

Don't you know that when you stand, you stand up for the both of us?

When I was wee I fought battle with The Cancer, and though I won the battle the war, as I am reminded with every nosebleed and bruise, is far from over. Unless I get hit by a bus on my way home, of course, because then it's pretty much a draw.

This subject is surprisingly well tread here at Collective HQ, from Abigail's missive yesterday to Network Geek's still-awesome guest post. There are also, incidentally, quite a few songs on the matter shuffling around my iPod, from The Verve's "The Drugs Don't Work" to Bloc Party's "Biko," which is pretty strange if you think about it, because I've spent the vast majority of my life trying NOT to think about it.

I guess you could say I'm like the mysteriously disappearing Superman from the horrendous movie Superman Returns (without the gay face, that is), in that I'm not real thrilled with my lot in life, and believe you me if I could fly off into outer space somewhere to avoid my problems you betcha I would. But sadly I can't, and while my Ford Anglia's in the shop I find myself temporarily grounded. So while I'm here, I'll continue fighting The Cancer and making a donation to the American Cancer Society, and I really hope you'll consider doing the same. At the very least, send all the good vibes you can to Susan and Scott and their three gorgeous (and awesomely named, btw) kids.

No comments: