Thursday 17 June 2010

happy happy joy joy

Jennie I honestly think that Joe and I would have never met had it not been for Match, because we are both hermits who would rather sit at home and watch movies than go out and like, talk to strangers. However, we theoretically COULD have run into each other many, many times, considering we're from the same town and all. When we were kids, we lived about a street apart but went to different schools because Joe is a Catholic and I am a heathen. Had either of us been allowed to ride our bike any further than four houses (each way!), maybe we would have become friends as tiny children, except NO WAY because boys were gross and smelly back then.

I also worked with his dad at a smallish company, the same company my dad had once worked for. I passed his dad in the hall almost every day, exchanging polite smiles, never dreaming that I'd one day be marrying his son. I mean, I didn't even know he had any sons. It's not like I scouted the offices of men my dad's age, searching for photos of their hot, single sons although OMG doesn't that sound like a good way to meet someone? Sure, it could lead to massive disappointment or, you know, crazy people but so does regular dating. Anyway. Once Joe and I started emailing and exchanged last names, I thought, "Huh, he has the same last name as Bill at work...I wonder if they're related," and OBVIOUSLY they were because it's not a very common last name, you know?

So it turns out that we could have very easily met as children or at some random company function, but we didn't. We also could have met at a concert since we shared the same taste in music. Actually, we were both present at the Spoon concert I went to a couple of years ago. We might have seen each other! He told me he pretty much stood in one spot in the back all night, and I made numerous trips to the bar for beer and to the bathroom BECAUSE of all the trips to the bar for beer so I might have seen him and been all, "that guy is TALL" and he might have seen me and been like, "why is that 12-year-old drinking beer?"

My favorite thing to imagine is that we went to the same movie showing at some point. I like to think of us sitting in the same, dark movie theater, enjoying the same movie, and being completely unaware that the person we were going to marry was sitting RIGHT THERE. Because between the two of us, we've been to a lot of movies. And there are only so many movie theaters in the Dayton area. And we like the same kinds of movies, except Joe likes superhero movies WAY more than I do, but still. It could have happened.

But alas, we did not meet before Match, which is fine, really, because we met in the summer and that meant lots of summer movie dates. We saw Wanted and we were all PUNCH KICK AWESOME FIGHT and he didn't care that I spent the entirety of the movie like this: JAMES MCAVOY DROOOOL. And then we saw WALL-E and I cried like five times and didn't even care that I was crying in front of him which was weird. I try not to cry in front of anyone so they don't know I have feelings.

This summer, I'm looking forward to Toy Story 3. He's looking forward to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. We're both looking forward to Inception. We probably would have gone to all these movies even if we hadn't met, maybe even the same theater, maybe even the same showing. It's so much better now that we know each other. We sit next to each other now.

13 comments:

mysterygirl! said...

It's crazy how many ways Joe's life has intersected with yours. I'm in love with this post. I'm glad that there's an internet so that I got to meet you!

(also, Inception, yes.)

Anonymous said...

Awww! :)

Don't you love that Match makes you meet people that you probably should have met anyway?

Ashley said...

I love this post. So much.

Jennie said...

mg! I'm so glad the internet was invented. I can't imagine my life without it -- is that cheesy?

Lindsay, I totally agree. I think the internet is pretty good for that, too. Hee.

Aww, thanks, Ashley!

Heather Anne Hogan said...

I have the biggest grin on my face. This may be my favorite thing you've written, and that's saying something.

kat said...

NONE of us would have met if it weren't for the internet. the internet RULES.

(i swear this post did not make a single tear well up in either of my eyeballs. not a one.)

Unknown said...

I've had luck both amazing and awful on Match, but it's always nice to hear about such a wonderful success story. This was so lovely that I might start paying more attention to the women sitting alone in theaters.

And then probably getting thrown out for being creepy. Nevertheless, it's a nice thought.

eclectic said...

You killed me with the last sentence, so I can't comment now on account of being dead.

Jennie said...

h!a! I keep putting exclamation points after your name(s) but everyone got rid of their exclamation points. Why did we do that? Heh.

kat, hell YES the internet rules. Mostly for us all meeting each other but also for cute pictures of baby animals.

Sir, I think you'll be fine as long as you don't try and talk to them during the movie. That's grounds for throwing someone out right there.

Shari, don't be dead! Noooooooooooo!

Joe G. said...

I'm a fan of this post. Although it makes it more with the sucking that I've been in Orlando all week and you're still in Dayton. I can't wait to come home.

peefer said...

I honestly believe you did share a theatre some time over all these years. But I'm pretty sure about one thing: you never sat behind him.

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh, this post was wonderful! So so romantic, but in all the right ways. Generally I run away from anything smacking of romance, but you made me find my heart this morning. I loved this.

Elan Morgan said...

This weblog entry is being featured on Five Star Friday!
http://www.schmutzie.com/fivestarfriday/2010/6/25/five-star-fridays-109th-edition-is-brought-to-you-by-mark-tw.html