Friday 11 June 2010

phoning it in, cause it's Friday and all

Jennie This is what I've been reading lately: PowerPoint presentations about rationalization and the state of our business in terms of HR and staffing solutions and zzzzzzzzzzzzz because I've been at an HR Summit all this week. Some parts were OK, like the free food and drinks at the baseball game. And other things, like the free food and drinks at dinner the other night. And, um, yeah, I can't think of anything else right now.

I DID, however, get today off so bonus. I just finished Brave New World. How much do I love dystopian novels? SO MUCH. That's the answer. Here's the thing about Brave New World. For some reason, I've never read it. Actually, I believe that reason is that I thought Brave New World was about, like, a new way to run a slaughterhouse. I...I have no idea why I thought that. I was totally surprised when I started reading it and there was nothing about horrible treatment of cows or poor beakless chickens or anything. I don't know where the idea came from, but it was wrong, obviously.

Now I'm reading Possible Side Effects, because despite my completely normal childhood and, well, vagina, for some reason I totally identify with Augusten Burroughs and could read about his Crazy constantly because it makes me feel better about my own.

What are you guys reading? I need to beef up my Goodreads To Read list.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I love Augusten Burroughs. Have you read Dry? It's so great.

Jennie said...

Yes! I love Dry. I'm not sure why I haven't read Possible Side Effects yet, it's been on my shelf forever.

Joe G. said...

Right now I am reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Ender's Game, and Cat's Cradle. Plus, comics. All the time.

Ms Elanious said...

Currently reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by B. Kingsolver. Now I feel guilty about nearly everything I eat, but the book is completely compelling.

Ashley said...

Well, firstly I think you need to read The Girl Who Played With Fire and Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and after you're done then maybe you can read something else.

Megan said...

In the last two weeks I read Slow Man by J.M. Coetzee and Lowboy by John Wray. I enjoyed both of them.

Jennie said...

Ashley! I finished The Girl Who Plays with Fire and just bought The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'm afraid to start it until I have a large chunk of time to read it all.

Jennie said...

Also, I'll be adding all other books mentioned to my To Read list.

Never That Easy said...

I am pretty far behind on my reading, but I do have a good dystopian novel to recommend (technically YA, but still awesome) - Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I thought it was amazing. (And part of a trilogy, although I haven't read the next two yet, because of the being behind and all.)