Monday 24 August 2009

So, in the words of A.A. Milne: "Get out of my chair, dillhole!"

heather I have a complicated relationship with TV. I love my stories. I mean, I love them in that deluded way that makes me think they're not stories, but actual real-life happenings. Love them like Pam and Jim and Bette and Tina are real people and if they don't end up together MY LIFE IS NOT WORTH LIVING.

I think that part of TV watching is in my blood or something because of how my Granny watched Days of Our Lives every day of her life and so did my mom and, for a really long time, so did my sister and I. (And one day, God-willing, her son will watch it too.)

I remember when the Internet first happened. (Some of you guys don't remember that at all. Like, Ashley and Lindsay and Candice and maybe even Abiagil! You've never been alive without the Internet. You probably don't even know what a card catalog is, or how to find books using it.) One night, just when the Internet was getting revved up to take over the world, Jenn and I were checking our Hotmail and reading Geocities when we discovered the most amazing thing our eyes had ever beheld: Recaps! Of Days of Our Lives! We stayed up all night reading those things. It was 1995, I think. Television Without Pity's founders probably weren't even born yet.

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh, right. I have a complicated relationship with television. See, because while I LOVE to watch my stories, TV annoys me to no end when my stories aren't on. I never just sit down in front of the TV and flip through the channels, and nothing makes me crazier than when the TV is just on for background noise. It makes my ears bleed, I swear.

If someone tells me something awesome is happening on TV, I will totally watch. But I never just accidentally discover good stuff at random. (And it's not like Amy does, either. I mean, her staples are Hallmark, Lifetime and ABC Family.) (I know. I judge too.)

Wow, Heathy, lock it up.

Anyway, this week's topic is TV shows I can watch over and over again. And all that rambling was to say that if I were going to flip through channels, and I came across any of these shows, I would stop what I was doing and watch, even if it was a marathon that lasted a whole week.

Friends



Golden Girls



The West Wing



Gilmore Girls



The Office



You know, now that I looked up these videos, I remember that I have all these shows on DVD. So that whole channel-flipping rant was kind of a moo point. (Like a cow's opinion. Doesn't matter.)

No comments: