Thursday 4 March 2010

I am trying to break your heart.

On Monday night my boyfriend of one hundred and thirteen months asked me to marry him. Twice. And I refused. Twice.

To understand this potentially perplexing response, I suggest you listen to the following albums in their entirety:

Out of Time, R.E.M.
Siamese Dream, Smashing Pumpkins
No Need to Argue, The Cranberries
Black Love, The Afghan Whigs
Dulcinea, Toad the Wet Sprocket
Dummy, Portishead
The Masterplan, Oasis
Urban Hymns, The Verve
Pinkerton, Weezer
Escapology, Robbie Williams
Heartbreaker, Ryan Adams
Twilight as Sung by, The Twilight Singers
Fear of Fours, Lamb
Kid A, Radiohead
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, Bright Eyes
Set Yourself on Fire, Stars
Get Lonely, The Mountain Goats
Boxer, The National
For Emma, Forever Ago, Bon Iver
Midnight Organ Fight, Frightened Rabbit

I don't really have anything else to say for myself.

13 comments:

Jennie said...

I can't listen to Set Yourself on Fire anymore because it broke my heart and then stomped on it until it was in millions of tiny, little pieces.

Heather Anne Hogan said...

Is this music going to make me jump out of a window or anything?

peefer said...

Wow. Is it something he said?

You know, aside from "Will you marry me?"

me said...

I suck when it comes to music (or anything regarding pop culture)..so is there like a 'readers digest' version of this?!

..Sarah G

kat said...

jennie - true story.

heather anne - yes.

peefer - yes.

sarah - not really, no.

Joe G. said...

Re: the title of your post (great song, btw): uh, mission accomplished.

You can call me, 'Sir' said...

I listened to Siamese Dream yesterday afternoon again, then went on a highly mediocre date last night wherein I recall thinking repeatedly, 'Sweet Jesus, I could not marry this woman'. So, I really think you may be onto something with that particular album.

eclectic said...

I completely understand why he would want to marry you, and for the record, it proves that he is both brilliant and possessed of excellent taste; but after dating you these million months, why, WHY, would he ask??

Ugh.

eclectic said...

(And what I mean by that is, wouldn't he already know after all this time what you would say? Being that he's bright and all, I guess I just can't figure how he didn't already piece that one together.)

Just came back to tell you that I hope you're not too hurty from this. I worry about you and your 'cold, black heart', because it isn't nearly as cold and black as you say.

Sending a hug.

mysterygirl! said...

I'm not quite sure what to say. So I will say, oooh, good albums. And I will invite you to get a drink in the near future.

kat said...

all is well, all. luckily seth has also listened to these albums so he wasn't terribly surprised. tax savings be damned.

Unknown said...

Misquoted and misrepresented all in one!

kat said...

nuh uh!