Tuesday 18 November 2008

all about my google reader, again

Abs
First, by the numbers:
From your 151 subscriptions, over the last 30 days you read 1,834 items, starred 9 items, shared 28 items, and emailed 14 items.

The last time I paid attention to these numbers was the last time I blogged about Google Reader. Since then I have added 10 subscriptions, but I've read about 25 percent of what I used to read. I've shared about the same, starred like four times as much and emailed way less. There's a reason. In July, I reevaluated what I had in my Reader... see I don't think I ever really read 4,734 items, I skimmed and marked-as-read a lot of them and so many of them were about TV shows. Since I'm in love with way more TV shows than the average person, I was reading about 16 different TV blogs. Which, turns out, is impossible. And also gets in the way of reading product reviews by my friends. So I decided to start relying more on the sharing community around me to alert me of awesome! things on the internets so I could cut out a lot of my feeds and add better ones. So now I'm a Reader mooch and you can be too! (That last line is a commercial for those of you that still haven't gotten on the Reader train. Lame-os.)

Shared recently:

Career Self-Counseling
A list of things blogger Avocado8 is good at. Everyone should have a list like this.

Top 10 Greasemonkey scripts to improve your productivity
Awesome hacks including viewing your Reader inside of your Gmail and previewing Gmail conversations by right-clicking, and whiting-out Google Ads, and my personal favorite the Gmail Attachment Reminder which searches your drafts for the word "attach" and then tells you if you haven't attached anything before sending. Because I'm not the only one who totally forgets to attach the attachment ALL THE TIME.

Sleeping Beauty castle walk-through to reopen at Disneyland
An LATimes article about the Disneyland castle because deep down inside I am a HUGE Disney dork.

Pen
Dave2's video demonstration of a singing Hannah Montana pen. Nobody's perfect.

Yes You Did!

What I love about America---what I've always loved about America, why I moved here in the first place, why I'll probably never leave---is that absolutely anything is possible. People come here seeking themselves, they come to make things better, and if you're lucky enough to be born here? Well then, gracious, you can be whatever you want to be: even the president of the United States.

"Shakespeares are this day being born on the banks of the Ohio," wrote Melville in Moby Dick, a line that's stuck with me ever since I read it in a musty classroom years and years ago. Thank god for a country where we still believe that and where we get to prove---not just in this election, but time and time again---that it's true. Congratulations, America, and thanks for having me. I'm simply thrilled to be here.


Do you have goosebumps?


and, last, but probably most awesome:
An Embarrassment of Excess
FourFour documents the dozens of different DVD versions of the Saw movies.

No comments: